Digital Printing utilizes the latest technology to provide a solution to printing with an almost unlimited number of colors and gradients in the design, something that is nearly impossible with screen printing.
For many customers, this is a great way to get full color prints on just a few shirts. Screenprinting an order that size with a large number of colors had previously been cost-prohibitive before the new technology of Digital Printing emerged. Also referred to as Direct-To Garment or Print On Demand, the process works much like an traditional inkjet computer printer, but for apparel!
- Yields high quality, durable images.
- Print on any color garment, recommended for dark prints on light color garments for best result.
- Price: Fixed cost per shirt, regardless of quantity ordered. Often cheaper than screenprinting for multiple-color images on small runs.
- Used for: Photos, Graphic Effects, and highly detailed images on small runs of shirts.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCREENPRINTING AND DIGITAL PRINTING?
Screenprinting involves creating a stencil, known as a screen, and then using that screen to apply ink on the printing surface (in our case, apparel or promotional products). Each individual color is applied using a different screen, one at a time, combined to achieve the final look. The more colors a design has, the more screens that are needed, and the more setup time required. The ink in screen printing is applied thicker than digital printing, which results in brighter colors - even on darker shirts. Screenprinting is the best option for designs that require a high level of vibrancy, specialty products, or for quantities greater than 6 pieces. While Underground Printing has no minimums for screenprinting, price is usually a prohibitive factor under 6 pieces. Over 6 pieces, the per piece cost tends to be less than Digital printing (but not always).
Digital printing is a much newer process that involves your artwork being processed by a computer, and then printed directly onto the surface of your product. Digital printing is not a transfer - the ink is directly adhered to the fabric of your shirt. The fact that the design is processed and printed digitally allows for a quantity of one, since there are no screens or physical setup. Digital printing is best used for items that require large amounts of detail and/or print colors, customers that require water based ink, and for orders of a smaller quantity (5 or less pieces). The fact that the digital printer does not use screens allows for a photographic print, with much more detail than traditional screen printing. As the ink is applied thinner (to achieve such detail), digital printing is best used on lighter colored shirts to allow the design to shine through.
What’s the difference between us and other screen printers?
We’re a small company. We’re professionals, but a fairly small shop, still capable of producing thousands of shirts every day, but not so huge that you get lost in a sea of customers. We focus on you.
- When you work with us, you will receive special attention and we guarantee you’ll be happy with your order.
- Since we’re not huge, we can get to your order more quickly, as we don’t have a backed up production schedule where your order is in queue to be printed in three or six weeks.
- With us, communication is easy. Expect generally quick replies to emails and friendly phone calls. Our customers are often amazed by how quickly we reply to emails, and how painless we make the entire ordering process, from start to finish.
- We provide affordable pricing. While we focus on quality of production and service, we can still give very reasonable pricing. We offer great value.
~Artwork Preparation – $20.00 Per Order
~Custom Graphic Design Services – $40 per hour; 1hr minimum, then billed every quarter hour thereafter.
Terms & Conditions
~Allow for a 2% margin for error
~Price quoted does not include applicable taxes
~Acceptable print files; ai, psd, png, eps all at 300dpi
~Production samples available upon request for a small fee
Above pricing is based on one color print in one location. A $5 charge will be applied to each additional print location different than the original in size or design. Additional charges will apply.